Thursday, October 15, 2009

Genetic Testing



Well this past week has been very busy. I had my 2nd chemo on the 6th of October, which actually went better than my first treatment. I had barely any side effects except being exhausted.
McCauley had her two week check up and she is doing wonderfully. She now weighs 5 pounds 13 ounces!She just eats and eats and eats....
I had the genetic testing done on Tuesday. I had to first go in and be counseled about my family history and then give three viles of blood. The lady counseling me had to wear a mask because of flu,so it made it kinda hard to understand her but I did get a few percentages out of her. It turns out that i have less than a 15% chance of carrying the cancer genes, which is good news for McCauley and the rest of the family. I will find out those results within 3 weeks.
In other news my hair is almost completely gone. I had John shave and trim it as much as he could. My little scalp is so tender where I lost the hair he had to do it slowly. We took pictures along the way...I looked like Kate Gosselin for awhile and then I looked like Ben Stiller from the movie Tropic Thunder (the part where he is in the play if anyone has seen it). I walk around most of the time bald except for a small area that John left in a "bowl cut" on the tip top of my head. My hair will just stand up on end if I move it because it is falling out. When my mom first saw me instead of the shock of my hair being 98% missing she said "oh my, why is your hair so dark? You aren't blonde. I don't even recognize you."

2 comments:

  1. Bless your heart blondie! I'll be thinking of you all; especially with the pending genetic results. By the way, McCauley Carlisle is the prettiest name ever. I'm so happy she's doing great and the chemo hasn't been too hard on you. Best wishes!! - Markey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa! Congrats on your baby girl!!! And that is too funny about your mom--I can just hear her saying that. I just have to say that I am SO impressed with how you and your family is handling everything. Amazed, really. I love your spirit and humor! I'm thinking about you!
    xoxo
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete